Dental Bonding is a cost-effective alternative to veneered porcelain. Dr. Gardner uses tooth-colored composites in many shades and hues to close spaces, create a custom full veneer or partial veneer that cover cracks, chips, and dark color. Tooth structure is preserved and composite can be re-polished and repaired, unlike most modern porcelains. Bonding is more versatile and can be done in one appointment. Among the easiest and least expensive of cosmetic dental procedures, bonding can:
- Repair decayed teeth (composite resins are used to fill cavities)
- Repair chipped or cracked teeth
- Improve the appearance of discolored teeth
- Close spaces between teeth
- Make teeth look longer
- Change the shape of teeth
- Be used as a cosmetic alternative to amalgam fillings
- Protect a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede
What’s the Procedure for Dental Bonding?
- Preparation. Little advance preparation is needed for dental bonding. Anesthesia is often not necessary unless the bonding is being used to fill a decayed tooth. Dr. Gardner will use a shade guide to select a composite resin color that will closely match the color of your tooth.
- The bonding process. Next, the surface of the tooth will be roughened and a conditioning liquid applied. These procedures help the bonding material adhere to the tooth. The tooth-colored, putty-like resin is then applied, molded, and smoothed to the desired shape. An ultraviolet light or laser is then used to harden the material. After the material is hardened, Dr. Gardner will further trim and shape it, and polish it to match the sheen of the rest of the tooth surface.
- Time-to-completion. Dental bonding takes about 30 to 60 minutes per tooth to complete.
Three Trees Dental – James Island, SC
Here at Three Trees Dental we are dedicated to providing you with the best dental service possible! Dr. Gardner and the staff truly take the time to make every patient comfortable and do everything they can to meet their dental needs. If you would like to schedule an appointment with us, contact our office today!